Sunday, June 3, 2007

Tomorrow will be day 21

Danny is still in the hospital. Things were going very well and we were sure he'd go home Friday with the drain tube in place. Then Thursday evening he began running a fever. Friday the fever continued so we began to look at the drain tube. It was not suctioning properly and by Saturday the nurses realized part of the tube had a crack in it. They finally repaired the drain tube, but we think it wasn't working for 2 days. This means the infection was building up inside of him once again. The fever has continued in a 5-6 hour cycle. He gets the chills first then comes the fever along with a horrible headache. He takes Tylenol and eventually the fever breaks. He's usually good for a couple of hours before the cycle begins again. The fever has been 101 to 102.5. The pressure and nasuea (don't know if that is spelled right...my mind is shot) have also returned. He basically has all the symptoms he had when we first took him to the ER...except for vomitting. Fortunately he has not done that again. Finally his kidney doctor said that she was worried this morning (Sunday) and ordered another CT scan. Yes he now has a kidney doctor because his creatin (sp?) levels are elevated due to the medications and infection. They finally did the CT scan this evening, but we won't have any results until the morning.

Friday or Saturday the kidney doctor also realized that he had an infected IV line. She thought that this could cause the fever as well. They did an ultrasound on his arm to check for blood clots, but he didn't have any. One less worry. They are having a terrible time keeping an IV in him or drawing blood. Basically all of his veins are shot.

He's very anxious and so am I. A few of the nurses are upsetting me. I don't feel like they take his symptoms seriously enough. Some aren't following infection control practices like they should. Today a nurse put his IV in him without wearing gloves. Another was draining his drain tube and didn't carefully contain the bacteria filled liquid! My nerves are shot as well and I'm sure I'm over reacting with the nurses just a little, but 20 days is a long time for someone to be in the hospital. I'm just trying to prevent any additionaly complications. I'm also staying on him about drinking his Boost (nutritional drink) and walking as much as possible. He gets irritated, but I know these things will help him get better.

The girls are doing okay. They sure miss their daddy though. They have been fortunate enough to have some very loving people help take care of them while I'm at the hospital. Again, I'd be worse than I am if it weren't for our friends, our wonderful church members, our family, our neighbors, and Danny's co-workers.

Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danny - I hope you are feeling better today. Please call or text if I can do anything! Astros suck but Hunter Pence is the bomb!! Get well and an Astros game is on me.

Lee

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

Mike had mentioned he was sick and in the hospital like 2 or 3 weeks ago, but I had no idea he was still in there, nor did I know to what extreme. Gosh I hope he gets well. I know the stress you are going through. Scott was in the hopital last year for 11 days, and I was a nervous wreck the whole time. They told us he had lymphoma which is a very scary cancer. Make a long story short, and after depression, and letting the news out to all the family we found out indeed it was not lymphoma. He had a very rare stomach infection. But the whole family was in a uproar, and my nerves was shot.... my work was not very supportive, alot of the reason I am not still there today! So, I know it is tough, but you will get through it only to come out stronger and love each other more! I will keep you all in our prayers, and if I can help out at all please give me a call. I don't work, so I can help with any hours. The girls might like to get a way to a different atmosphere, and play with some new toys. Just give me a call. I will try and make it to see Danny. Keep me posted on how he is doing, because Mike does not let me know anything.

Love to you all,
The Bundy's
Scott, Lacey, Morgan and Kenzie

mandy said...

ugg!! i am so sorry this is going on. i am praying for danny to heal and for you to extend grace to the nursing staff even when they don't "deserve" it...as if any of us do. we love you guys! take monopoly up there and play a game for us!!

hang in there. God is good all the time.