Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I was wrong...

Today was a bad day. Danny called this morning to let me know that he was on his couch enjoying his french toast for breakfast when he decided his sheets needed to be changed. He strolled out of his room to the nurse's station to make his request. On his way back he felt light headed and remembered that I told him to immediately sit down if he ever had that feeling again. He was sitting down and his bottom reached the ground when he fainted again. He was in the hallway so the nurses rushed over and even a neurologist that was on the floor making rounds. They took his blood pressure and it was very low. They took it again a few minutes later and it was normal. They checked his blood sugar levels and did some sort of EKG on him. The neurologist ordered that he be hooked up to a heart monitor and the lab people came in to draw blood. All that being said we still don't know what caused this.

I've basically been crying all day. I guess everything is catching up to me and it all flooded out over the course of the day. I've also decided to put Laura in day care which has upset me. I planned on doing this in August when I went back to work anyway, but I guess I wasn't ready for it now. I'm hoping to get a teaching job for the fall, but so far I haven't had any calls. Whether it is a business position or teaching position I must go back to work full-time very soon. I found a day care close to home and I went for a visit today. I really liked the facility and didn't have any reservations at all. That helped ease my emotions over this decision. She will start Monday for a few hours each day. I just can't entertain her right now and it is difficult to come and go when she needs a nap at a certain time each day. Daley is a lot easier to take to the hospital and also much easier to find a sitter for on short notice. Laura won't be 2 until July and still needs a crib for naps which means I can't just take her to somebody's home in most cases.

Besides fainting Danny isn't doing as well as I thought either. His temp tonight was 103.1 and he had a hard time breaking it. The CT scan on his belly came back as improving once again. The docs are puzzled. We are still waiting on the results from the cultures. The infectious disease doc and kidney doc both said that they are very concerned and that he needs the surgery. The surgeon has a different approach...

She wants him off of all antibiotics for 24-48 hours. She came in with this idea and had already called the infectious disease doc. The ID doc said okay except for the vancomycin (sp?). The surgeon got his chart and sat in the room with us for over an hour. Tracking all his meds and when the problems started up again. She then took out her computer and started looking up side effects for all of his drugs. Vancomycin had the following for COMMON (not rare) reactions: fever, chills, nausea, dizziness, and a few others. She then called the ID doc again and said that she wanted to take him off of everything, and that we agreed, and that she would take full responsibility for the decision. We discussed risks and all of that, but figured that he couldn't get much worse than he is now. He was allergic to many, many things as a small child including several medications. He did outgrow them, but it seems reasonable that this could be an allergic reaction since his been on antibiotics for 23 days. They are going to monitor him closely and hopefully avoid surgery at this time. I've read a little about "drug fever" tonight on the internet and it does make sense. I'm praying that this is our answer.

No comments: