Wednesday, May 30, 2007

He's still in the hospital

Today is day 16 without my husband at home. Last Thursday he had a CT scan that showed a very large abscess on his colon. His colon has a microscopic hole in it which was leaking infection into his abdomen. To protect the infection from spreading an abscess formed outside of his colon. They inserted a drain tube through his stomach near his belly button and left it to drain until Tuesday. On Tuesday he had another scan and we really thought they would take it out and he would come home. The radiologist still saw quite a bit of infection so he took the other tube out and inserted a larger drain tube in to the abscess. Much more painful than the first time according to Danny. This was yesterday so Danny was down and out the whole day. He's better today and up walking again. He's on a soft bland diet and slowly regaining energy.

Over the weekend he decided he needed a shower. He couldn't get his IV or the drain tube wet so he stood right outside of the shower and we washed him up. Towards the end when I was changing his gown he said he was lightheaded. I told him to hold on because I was taking off the drain tube and putting it on his new gown. He said then that he was going to faint. I told him to sit down, but it was too late. His eyes rolled back in his head and he just fainted! I've never seen anything like it. I tried to hold him, but couldn't and he fell into the shower and hit his elbow and head. He was completely out of it for about 2 minutes. Then he just snapped out of it and was coherent. Scared me to death! He wasn't injured and the nurses just think it was the steam and medicine in his system.

The doctors think he will be able to come home Friday...with the drain tube in place. They want to keep it in for 7-10 days, but feel by Friday he'll be strong enough to come home. I was a little hesitant about that at first, but I think we can handle it. I will have to empty it and record the amount as well as monitor his temperature.

This has been a roller coaster for our family. I could not have made it this long without the support from our family, our friends, and our church. Thank God for those people.

Please continue to pray for his recovery.

No comments: