Saturday, June 23, 2007

A slow road

Today is day 2 after surgery and he just took his first walk. His sitting in a chair in his room trying to watch the Astros right now, but is clearly uncomfortable. The important thing is that he is out of bed. The nurses are very worried about pneumonia and blood clots. The surgeon is pushing him to walk to get his bowels to wake up. Normally we would be chatting, but he still has his NG tube in and refuses to speak. The tube goes into his nose, down the back of his throat and into his tummy. It sucks out any air and gastric fluid. Normally our bodies pass all of this but since his tummy is sleeping it is important to get this out before it builds up and causes pressure. We are praying that the tube comes out tomorrow. It is so terribly uncomfortable for him. He's sat up twice since surgery and has sat in a chair for about an hour 2 times as well. Again he just completed his first short walk around the nurses' station. He's supposed to do it at least 2 more times today.

Although his surgery went very well and recovery is going well from the physicians point of view, he's really not doing that well. I don't think he was fully prepared to feel the way he does. He's not saying much but he really has a very sad look on his face. I almost feel like he's saying "why did you let them do this to me?" every time he looks at me. It is truly breaking my heart. I'm afraid if the doc refuses to pull that tube out tomorrow I may have to do it myself! The day after surgery the nurse realized it wasn't sucking anything out because of a clog or improper location. After an X-ray the surgeon just happened to be in the room and decided to fix it himself. So he's tugging and pulling on this tube and Danny is just begging him "please doc just take it out" and of course he refuses claiming it is for his own good. I had to leave the room...I simply could not take it. I'm really hoping one of the surgeons' partners does rounds tomorrow and maybe I can talk that physician into taking it out. I realize the bowels have to be working before they are "comfortable" taking it out, but they don't understand that Danny would be a lot more motivated to move and walk without the tube. UGGGHHHHH

I've stayed up here for the last 2 nights and plan to stay again tonight. I'm not leaving him alone until the tube is out. Today I left for a couple of hours to go home and shower while his mother stayed with him. Some flaming idiot calling himself a physician came to check on Danny and without even looking under his gown started pushing on his belly and incision. This was a physician covering for his admitting doctor, but certainly he could have read in his chart that he just had surgery. The other docs have been feeling his belly, but they always pull up his gown so they don't stick their fingers right through the incision.

I'm sure everyone can tell by my tone I'm running low on fuel and patience.

I've had some calls about visiting. For now I'd say no. He can't comfortably speak right now and is just trying to sleep as much as possible. I'm sure he'll be up for visits in a few days and I'll keep everyone posted.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please tell Danny that Robin and I have been praying for him and last week I gave a prayer request about him and his surgery to my Bible study class. I would like to come see him again when possible, but I know he probably doesn't feel like seeing visitors. If you need anything, please call.

-Lee