Thursday, June 28, 2007

Do you want the good news or the great news?

That was basically what the surgeon had to say when he came to visit Danny this evening.

Yesterday Danny was feeling okay, but was still running a low grade fever. He got a blood transfusion yesterday and that has seemed to help his energy level. Today started out a little rocky when the nurses woke him up out of a sound sleep to tell him the surgeon ordered another CT scan. The bad part about this test is the contrast he has to drink to light up his belly. He's had 6 or 7 of these tests and has thrown up the contrast every time but once. So he got out of bed and prepared himself to drink it. Apparently this stuff really woke up his bowels. They started moving and he was instantly sick at his stomach. So he said forget it and got back into bed. Apparently he had drank enough because they were able to complete the test. So when the surgeon got the results he came to visit Danny. He said that Danny's belly couldn't possibly look better! Everything from the surgery looks great and he even removed 1 of the 2 surgical drains. He said he'd probably remove the other one tomorrow. He also put Danny on a soft bland diet. He told him to take it very slow since his stomach is probably the size of a raisin, but that it was time to start getting food back into his system. We also found out the cause of his fever is due to yeast in his blood. This is mostly to due with the fact that he's been on antibiotics for so long. He will have to complete a 14 day dose of IV anti fungal antibiotics to cure this. So when he gets discharged he'll have to go home with his PICC line and have a nurse come by each day to administer the medicine. During the late afternoon and into the evening he was feeling great. He took 2 strolls up to the 5th floor where he was prior to surgery to visit his old nurses. He ate a little dinner and listened to the Astros game. He even borrowed his mom's laptop and read all of my blogs...that was kinda weird.

Things are really beginning to look up.

I had a job interview today with the principal of Nimitz 9th grade campus in Aldine ISD. I've been out of education for 3 years to stay at home with the kids and have been applying at 6 districts since January of this year. I was ready to go back to work before all of this happened, but now I really need to. I'm certified to teach 6-12 business education classes and there just aren't that many openings in my field. If I taught math I'm sure I would have a contract by now. The interview went really well and the principal asked me to set up an initial interview with HR just in case I'm selected. That interview is next Tuesday. I'm praying for a job offer soon. I just want the security of knowing I have a job for next school year.

Check out Jennifer's link on my blog page. She kept the girls last weekend and posted some really cute pics of her son and my girls.

3 comments:

mandy said...

oh yeah!!! i am so thankful you guys are having a turn of the tide. i can only imagine how long this has all seemed for you guys. we will continue to pray for danny to heal and that the doctors and nurses will be blessed by their time with you guys. we love you all!!

Anonymous said...

Kelley,
I'm glad to hear Danny is doing better and I hope he gets to go home soon. Just wanted to let you know that Tomball HS does have a CATE opening. I just checked the website to verify. Please tell Danny I said hello. I don't know if he saw the game but Biggio got 5 hits tonight and C. Lee hit a walk-off Grand Slam. I hope that brightens his spirit.

Praying for all of you (and the doctors)

Lee Wright

The Spells said...

I am so happy that Danny is feeling better. We can't wait to see him at home. It will be good for all of you. Love you guys.