Saturday, July 14, 2007

The kids are snoozing

It is 7:30 Saturday morning and both children are still sleeping. It is so very quiet and peaceful. Danny is at a men's breakfast at our church and I'm using this time to drink my coffee and catch up on paperwork. Obviously I'm taking a quick break to update our blog though! Things are wonderful. We've had a few bumps this last week, but nothing to get upset about. Danny's recovery is going very well. He had a follow up visit with the infectious disease doc (you know...the one that tried to kill him with Vancomycin) last week after his PICC line was removed and she released him from care. She said everything is wonderful and she hopes to never see him again. She was joking, but we are not. We'll never go to her again after her poor judgement in care. I really had to beg Danny to follow up with her because I felt it wouldn't be a good idea to follow up with a new doctor after everything that has happened.

Danny had a toothache last week, but fortunately has a very dear friend who is a dentist. Danny never wanted to have him work on his teeth thinking it would be too weird, but after all that he has been through in the last couple of months he needed to go to someone he trusted. Pierre was able to fix the problem and hopefully avoid a root canal. Danny will have to follow up in a couple of weeks and have a permanent filling put in the area.

Danny also ran out of contacts and couldn't get a refill without an eye exam so he went to the optometrist yesterday. He's just getting a complete overhaul this summer. He still has two more follow up doctor visits next week and hopefully he'll be done until his next surgery in the fall.

I resigned from my position at the hospital this last week. They weren't going to approve a leave of absence anyway and my family doesn't need me working at night anymore. Next week I'm going to start signing up with temp agencies and try to work a few days a week.

I prayed so much in the hospital for Danny's emotional and spiritual health. I was so afraid that he wouldn't recover in those areas and would struggle returning to his normal life. My prayers were answered. He's doing so well. He went to choir practice last Tuesday and then the men's breakfast this morning. We've gone to two birthday parties as a family since he's been home. We are going to a colostomy support group next week. He's back to his happy, optimistic, joking self. He's also doing very well with the children. He's back to wrestling with them on the floor-of course they both know they can't jump on Daddy's tummy. He helps me bathe them and put them to bed. I'm just so thankful for God's love and grace.

1 comment:

mandy said...

i love reading about what your family is up to! i hope you enjoyed your morning of quiet!